An ear infection is extremely painful to a dog's delicate ears. Unfortunately, a visit to the veterinarian is just as painful for its owners' bank account. Avoid the terror to both your canine best friend and your wallet by using a
dog ear infection home remedy
from our list of choices below.
Causes of Canine Ear Infections
Ear infections are extremely common in dogs and can be caused by numerous different events. This is why having a home remedy for ear infections in dogs handy will save you money in the long run. It will also save your poor pet from a tremendous amount of unnecessary pain and agitation. Here are some of the most common reasons your dog could get an ear infection:
Allergic reactions to foods
Vet medication to reduce ear wax
If your dog loves the water and can often be found swimming, you most likely will need to deal with frequent ear infections. Water can get easily trapped inside the canine ear canal and becomes an ideal breeding ground for bacteria. The yeast from this bacteria is highly susceptible to a painful infection.
It's generally pretty obvious when your pet has an ear infection, but if you are unsure, here are some of the most common symptoms to look for:
Distinctive head moves, frequently shaking head or scratching in the uncomfortable ear.
Might whimper, cry or flinch from a touch to the head.
Irritability and aggression.
A brownish, wax-like discharge from the ear with a distinct odor.
Balance issues - he/she may seem to be suddenly uncoordinated.
Recommended Dog Ear Infection Home Remedy
Below we have detailed some of the most popular home remedies for a canine ear infection. Each of these have been proven to work, with no side effects or prescription drugs.
- As a pet owner,
is probably one of the best remedies to have handy at all times. It helps soothe itchiness and promote clean healthy ears.
- Vinegar modifies the pH in the ear, making the canal unfriendly to bacteria and yeast. Spraying a combination of water and the apple cider vinegar into the infected ear will function as both an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory, easing the pain and discomfort your pet is experiencing.
- This is an efficient natural astringent to decontaminate your dog's ear.
Mullein and garlic oil
- Applying five to six drops of mullein oil coupled with garlic oil every day for ten days will kill an infection, as well as reduce pain and swelling.
- Soaking cloves in olive oil overnight and then using an eyedropper, carefully add a few drops into your pets' ear will treat the infection effectively.
- Massaging equal portions of
and common mineral oil into the affected ear 2-3 times daily, over a few days, wipes out the fungi and bacteria, eases pain and acts as an herbal antibiotic.
- Applying a warm compress to the ear multiple times daily alleviates pain and inflammation due to infection.
Vitamin E Oil
- Applying just a few drops of vitamin E oil into your dog's ear and then gently massaging it into the ear canal will help relieve pain and relax the inflamed tissues of the ear.
The most important thing we as pet owners can do to avoid ear infections in our dogs is to practice proper ear hygiene. This includes plucking any hair growing within the ear canal and always keeping the ears dry. Constant moisture makes the ears highly susceptible to infection. Regular doses of vitamin C drops will also contribute to overall good health and protection against potential ear infections. An improved and healthy immune system is an additional defense against requiring a
dog ear infection home remedy